Thread: DIY Filter
View Single Post
Old 01/31/2004, 04:17 AM
20 and over club

Maroun,

My intention for this filter was for a quarantine tank. The purpose behind the quarantine tank is to isolate new fish before introducing them into the main tank. Under these conditions there will be one or at worst case a few fish in the tank at any one time. There is no need for "powerful" filtration. Of course, the design is flexible and any sized container could be used. The larger the container, the more bioballs and the more surface area for bacteria to colonise.

A wet/dry environment would make the filtration more efficient (not sure by how much) as the oxygen levels would be significantly higher. However, I don't believe this would result in the bacteria establishing any faster than if submerged when "setup or started on a hurry". In my experience, wet/dry systems take just as long as other filtration systems to become established.

I don't believe a wet/dry system would be practical for a quarantine tank, unless it is drilled and has a sump. Not that you couldn't have a quarantine tank like that, but most people use a standard non-drilled tank.

My advice is to have a quarantine tank set up permanently with a mature biological filter. It is easy to keep the biological filter active simply by feeding the tank every couple of days. In my opinion, this design will work well in that situation - which is its intent.