View Single Post
Old 11/16/2005, 03:49 PM
Standpipe Guy

Re: Asexual Elegance Reproduction

Quote:
Originally posted by RPBel
Well, I have found the article on this site after the same occurance happened in my tank. I am wondering how long the cuttings took to build a new skeleton when the old one tore away.
Sadly, I've since lost my 8 year old elegance as a result of a tank move so they never had a chnace to develop a new skeleon. The parent colony released from its skeleton over 2 months in several large sections. I tried to save portions of it in low flow area but any efforts failed, they eventually got blown away and I was unable to find them.

I tried using crazy glue to attach them from the bottom but they released in a few days. I tried using fishing fine to attach but the skin would spit long before any skeletal mass developed and it would get blown away. I tried keeping them in a specimen container with holes drilled to allow for water exchange but they simply rotted away within 2 weeks.

I've had portions lift off before, but nothing like this. Fully expanded healthy looking flesh seperated.

Quote:

It is one month since I made the cut. After one week they had no signs of the cut. Fully healed. Each day they seem to be getting heavier and larger.
I noticed the same thing before I had to move the coral to the new tank. Rapid healing within days. And this wasn't the corals first move. It has survived three moves during the previous eight years.

Quote:

I think the key is having a well established large elegance. This will more likely have mouths away from the skeleton that can be cut. Place them in low current or build them some sort of protection. I took broken pieces of dead plating coral and sectioned off along the glass like a fence. Holding the two cuttings in their own space in the front corner of the tank. It has been an exciting experiment.
Excellent, do you have any pictures? When my parent colony started to have problems I moved the daughter colonies out to other tanks with other reefers and all but one of them have since died off as well. Only a single remaining daughter colony is left of a 8 year old elegance and nearly a dozen daughters.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.