Thread: fire corals
View Single Post
Old 01/02/2008, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

I am trying to convince my wife to let me buy a Fire Coral...and she sends me this:

Fire Coral Cuts Overview
Fire corals are not true corals. Fire corals are members of the Cnidaria phylum, and although fire coral looks like coral, it is more closely related to jellyfish and other stinging anemones.

Fire corals have a bright yellow-green and brown skeletal covering and are widely distributed in tropical and subtropical waters. Divers often mistake fire coral for seaweed, and accidental contact is common. The very small nematocysts on fire corals contain tentacles that protrude from numerous surface pores (see Jellyfish Sting). In addition, fire corals have a sharp, calcified external skeleton that can scrape the skin.

Fire Coral Cuts Symptoms
• Within 5-30 minutes following skin contact with fire coral, an immediate burning sensation or a stinging pain develops.
• A red rash with raised wheals or vesicles appears, and itching develops.
• Lymph gland swelling may occur over time.
• Rarely, nausea and vomiting have been reported.

Fire Coral Cuts Treatment
The following guidelines are suggested to treat fire coral cuts:
• Rinse with seawater. Avoid fresh water because it will increase pain.
• Apply topical acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.
• Remove tentacles with tweezers.
• Immobilize the extremity because movement may cause the venom to spread.
• Apply hydrocortisone cream 2-3 times daily as needed for itching. Discontinue immediately if any signs of infection appear.

If the person who has come into contact with fire coral develops shortness of breath; swelling in the tongue, face, or throat; or other signs of an allergic reaction, treat for an allergic reaction. If no signs of allergic reaction are present, pain may be relieved with 1-2 tablets of acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 tablets of ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours.

When to Seek Medical Care
• In severe cases, seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
• Consult a doctor about treatment with available medications.