View Single Post
Old 08/17/2002, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Your algae bloom may be a temporary thing or it may be from the excess nutrients. I suggest using a DSB in any tank that has the proper inhabitants. Some will destroy, stir, eat parts of a DSB. Do a search and you will find the info you need. It is also important to state that if you have a DSB you should also DEFINATELY have a refugium or somewhere to grow macro algae. This is Dr. Ron's advice and he seems to be the expert on DSB's. Have a DSB or a refugium is only part of the equation. You need to have both and a good bug, critter population to keep it healthy. Again a search on DSB's will help. I am no biologist, but will give a quick run down of how a DSB works. There are Anaerobic and Aerobic zones in which specific types of bacteria live. The denitrifying(sp) cycle takes place in the rock and aerobic zones turning your ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. The anerobic zones use the nitrates like we use oxygen (this is where I get a little lost). This bacteria converts the nitrates into nitrogen which is released into the atmoshpere, thus keeping your tank nice and healthy. There are other disolved organics that the macro algae uses for the other part of the whole filtration process. That is a quick and dirty explanation, again if you have any questions there are tons of posts on DSBs or you can ask Ron and he is happy to answer. I suggest searching first because answering the same questions over and over can get frustrating. Good luck.