View Single Post
Old 05/18/2006, 01:13 AM
Pappone Nerd

I agree with Al G also. Of course a little frag of his corals is going to be not that amazing when it is only at 1", but when you see them at their true sizes, they are VERY spectacular.

Keep in mind that mariculture places and other vendors wouldn't be trying to do the same thing and put out "knockoffs" of his corals if they weren't so great looking in the first place. I've seen a lot of the "superman" montis coming out and they look nothing like the real one.

Plus keep in mind that as mentioned before, he is creating legitimate hype for fragmentation, and being excited with that is far better than relying on collecting wild corals.

Sunny made a good point about everything being market driven. These corals sell for upwards of 100 dollars because people want them. It is no different than the acro craze, ricordea craze, zoanthid craze, acan craze, and now the echino/chalice craze.

However, if Tyree was really out to just make money, he would be using the LFS model of selling in which volume wins and quality loses. I stopped getting corals from the LFS for this exact reasoning. Just look at their dead skeleton pile in the back.

As for his stopping of some editions, hes only retired a few corals (about 6-8). Plus most of those were due to difficulty in keeping, so he wasn't pushing them on people while knowing that they would be hard to keep (unlike most LFS's). So as I see it, his work and business is on what I would consider the more responsible side of reefing.