Thread: EuroReef Club
View Single Post
Old 11/24/2007, 11:15 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
Newschool:

I have a RS250, and had the same concerns (having to close the riser almost completely to get skimmate to flow over). I thought: less water is draining, so that must mean less water is being skimmed.

I called ER, who said the opening/closing is used just to control the static water level within the skimmer body. They said it does not affect the amount of water being skimmed. They said the pump is still pulling in the same amount of water, and that is what's being skimmed.
That is correct. The wedgepipe valve does the same thing as a gate valve. It puts back pressure on the outflow and will cause the level in the simmer body to rise. It does not affect H20 GPH throughput. Putting the skimmer in deeper water will also cause the water level to be higher. I would just close the valve more to raise the water level. Dont worry if it is 1/2 or 3/4 or more closed. The only issue with it being closed too much is the water has to exit a small opening and will exit with more velocity and may have some noise issues. If that is the case, deeper skimmer depth wont require it to be closed as much.

On another note, I ran my RS250 with the ER gate valve kit with the output submered quite a bit. There was no negative impact on performance. If you submerge yours, it may put a little extra backpressure on the output which may help and is also nice and quiet.