Thread: EuroReef Club
View Single Post
Old 09/29/2007, 07:55 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
Marc,

follow-up question. The ER manual recommends that the drain be cut so that it is above the water level (I angled my drain to accomplish this). However, the water splashes into the sump, which is not only loud, but causes a lot of microbubbles. When I lower the drain so that it is below the water level, it is hard to adjust the water-level inside the skimmer.

Does your screw-in-cap allow the drain to be underwater and adjust the water-level inside the skimmer?
Quick comment to Brian first: Salt creep is real, and I know another reef who's huge EuroReef didn't work for weeks. I went over and could see the salt through the opaque tubing, and ran boiling water through each one until they were completely clean again. Skimmer was back in action.

Tbone - my cap isn't screwed on. It just sits on top of the gray PVC. The outlet is submerged several inches, but it is well below the height of the gate valve so it doesn't matter. I had some spare round tubing in the garage, and made a cylinder for the skimmer's output to pour into, with a could of pieces of 3/8" acrylic for feet. It contains the bubbles and mostly only water comes out the 3/8" gap at the base of the cylinder. It if was in a place where you could see it, I'd take a picture but it is pretty much hidden behind the skimmer body.

I prefer silence, and try to avoid any splashing in the sump.