View Single Post
Old 11/16/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks echidna. I've done a little bit of research as to what's available over here and the two that are most commonly available are S.apama (Which I assumed would grow too big for my tank, The Melbourne aquarium has some on display that looked to be 2 feet long!)
I also thought they were temperate as they are found in huge numbers off the south coast of Aus where it gets pretty cold

Or S. latimanus which is also quite large

One option I have found is Sepia mestus. (Reaper cuttle) Does anyone know anything about these? They are commonly found on north east Aus reefs.

My tank is 6'x18"x18" so I'm assuming I don't want a species that is likely to grow to more than about 15" in length?

S. pfefferi is not uncommon across the top third of australia. Part of the reason I was interested in such a small cuttle was the potential to eventually keep more than one in an attempt to breed them...

I didn't want to ask the "Can I keep more than 1...." question without finding out a little bit more.
I did think the large tank would work in my favor and if necessary I have a divider for it.

I do agree that brood stock has to come from somewhere, and with such a short lived species IMO it's worth looking into captive breeding.

Being my first cuttlefish though, probably best to learn with something a few more people have experience with.

Thanks again.