View Single Post
Old 12/07/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Question In Wall Tank Owners - What Construction Materials/Methods?

I'd like to get some input from those who have their reef tanks in a wall in regards to the proper building materials used on walls for high humidity.

Basically, I have a blank canvas. Right now or in a few weeks, the room that will be behind the tanks will be bare studs. When finished, the room will have a 180g, a 240g with sump, refug. & frag tank until I upgrade to a larger reef tank. I am trying to determine the best way to finish the walls and ceiling so humidity, moisture, & mold are not issues.

-What material did you use to skin your walls? I was leaning toward backer board for the walls and ceiling. I know this will be significantly more costly than drywall. How many used regular drywall and do not have any issues & if so, what sort of ventilation are you using?

-I know most applications using backer board generally have tile or tub surrounds covering them, but in my case, I would paint it like a regular wall. Can you tape and fill backer board prior to paint the same as drywall or do I have to skim coat all of it prior to priming & painting?

-What kind of insulation is recommended for a room with high humidity? Is there even a special kind? I plan on insulating the room even though 3 of 4 walls are interior walls for the simple fact that I will run an A/C only in this room in the summer months and the room adjacent to it has a wood stove (my primary winter heat source).

-What kind of vapor barrier do I use over the insulation behind the drywall/backer board?

-What other recommendations does anyone else have for this room? I have electrical outlets/circuits under control and I am in the process of searching for a proper humistat/vent fan combination.