View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 01:00 PM
Where the future begins!

Our house had a huge oil furnace in the basement when we first started working on the place. Unfortunately, here in Indiana, finding someone to come work on an Oil furnace is almost impossible and they are pretty much considered obsolete around here.

Due to it's age, and the cost of maintenance/oil/etc... we tore it out and put in two heat pumps for the house. According to the old owner of the house, not including the cost of oil, it cost them around $1300/month in winter to heat the place with that big old furnace. Now, with the heat pumps, I think the worst our electric bill has been was $800 and that includes everything else we run (metal halides etc...)

Honestly, I think it might be more cost effective if you did away with the old oil furnace and went electric (plus you get a tax write off when you install all energy saving equipment, insulate etc..)

I forgot to add that the huge power bill was during -15 degree weather that we had last year which obviously the heat pumps do not function at temps that cold.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”

Last edited by JokerGirl; 01/09/2008 at 01:06 PM.