View Single Post
Old 12/05/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Well the A. millipora that the crab was eating developed RTN. Not sure if this is from the predation, or if the process had started for some other reason without me realizing it and the crab was picking away devitalized tissue. Once I saw progressive tissue loss from the bottom up I removed it from the tank and fragged a few of the tips. Superglue was used at the cut sites. I'll keep an eye on the frags, if they start losing tissue also I'll throw them out.

The other coral the crab was eating (A. sarmentosa) still seems okay. But I'm keeping a close eye on it as well as my other SPS. Carbon is running.

So is there anyway to tell an emerald crab from some other green crab with hairy legs ? I've assumed all the green crabs in the LFS tank labelled emerald crabs were these supposed "reef safe" mithrax species but perhaps not. I did have one emerald crab before which as a great algae eater, and he did eliminate scattered valonia in the tank. Apparently only the males (with proportionally large claws) eat valonia -- if you pick the smallest ones they are probably females and won't touch it.

Last edited by ekovalsky; 12/05/2007 at 10:55 AM.