View Single Post
Old 11/17/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

I want everyone to keep in mind, this article is still a rough draft. I'm certainly not qualified to write it. I just wanted to get the ball rolling, sort of manifest what's been on everyone's minds in the SH community right now. I still need some help with the actual copy and with obtaining references and photos. And I DO appreciate corrections because, like I mentioned, I don't have many references...and if we want to get this important issue out into the open, we better know what we're talking about!

Ann, I always appreciate your input! I like that you are always to-the-point, and not condescending like some people can be. Ann and I are on the same side here, in fact, all SH hobbyists are on the same side when it comes to this issue, whether they know it or not.

CCall, does your LFS keep the CB and the Net raised SH in the same system? If so, the CB are potentially exposed to the same pathogens as the net pen raised. That could cause a problem.

I think it's very helpful when breeders breed SH and pipes and different kinds of SH together. I don't know how they do this, but I presume they are using quarantining, bare bottom tanks, adequate water params, possibly UV, slow, professional methods that work without crashing all their stock...

But when the LFS or LA wholesalers are "mixing" there is a different outcome. They are mixing animals that were just shipped, possibly halfway across the world. These animals have lowered immune systems already. Then they are often kept in less than optimal water parameters and conditions, at temperatures that are too high. We've all seen the LFS SH tanks with aggressive fish or stinging corals in them, also. These systems often also house live rock and sand (places for pathogens/ciliates to collect. As David W. says "clean your pipes") and other creatures. That's when we run into a problem with mixing.

Hydroid, I like your metaphor.

Fishgrrl, BINGO. I'll post it over there when I feel comfortable with its accuracy. It may take some time. I'd appreciate any help (any of) you can give with references, photos, corrections, additions...