View Single Post
Old 08/20/2006, 02:53 PM
mmmmmm Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by antonsemrad
I stand corrected.

1. For the record, what exactly happens in a dsb?

2. Exactly what role do critters play in this process?

3. What role do bacteria play in hypoxic environments?

4. What role do bacteria play in anaerobic environments?

5. What do these bacteria feed on?

6. What exactly happens to detritus (in a reef tank) that is not mechanically removed? (or eaten)

7. What is the advantage of a RDSB over a DSB?

Numbered your questions for my convenience

1. Lots of things-- but what we want is denitrification (removal of nitrates)

2. They consume detritus (uneaten food and poop)-- utilize it and break it down further-- some say they help slowly stir the sand also-- not sure if this helps or not...

3 & 4 I don't feel knowledgeable enough about the difference to comment with confidence-- from what I understand though hypoxic is low oxygen, anerobic is no oxygen envrionments... from what I've read (in this thread)-- denitrifying bacteria live in hypoxic areas... the bacteria consume nitrate (NO3) and convert it to nitrogen and oxygen gas.

5 Nitrate.. (see above)

6. It slowly disolves or is eaten-- alot of it becomes ammonia, which nitrfying bacteria convert to nitrite, and other nitrifying bacteria convert to nitrate... hopefully alot of this disolved material is skimmed out... a skimmer is designed to remove DOCs (disolved organic compounds)

7. Advantages of RDSB were detailed early on in the original thread.... mainly:
+ it is outside the tank so it doesn't take up any of your tanks volume (a 6" DSB in a 22" tank is using over 25% of your tank)
+ there is some concern about DSBs becoming heavily polluted and "crashing"-- RDSBs are tried to kept free of detritus and critters too keep this from occuring.
+ They are easily replaced if there are problems... some people have even advocated running a couple in series and changing out one per year...
+ almost any sand of the proper grain size can be used... doesn't have to be the pretty white sand many want to see in their tanks...

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen