View Single Post
Old 10/18/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Oh, I didn't find the interview, I'm too lazy for that I just referred to the whole seahorse documentary she was in and someone else dug up the quote from the interview. What you had to say was pretty spot on though, except the part about Reidi being the ORA sh from Sri Lanka, not Kuda, but you caught that yourself and corrected it.
The only other thing I saw was that you said there were at least 10 speceis being CB that weren't being NPR (net pen raised)... I can only come up with these:
Abdominalis, Barbouri, Breviceps, Capensis, Erectus, Tubers, Whitei, and Zosterae...
I am fairly certain that Reidi, "Kuda", "Kelloggi", Ingens, and possibly Comes are being NPR. Reidi, Ingens, and Comes can also be found CB from aquaculturists and hobbyists, and it looks like Kuda will be available CB shortly again as well.

Also, a clarification on the whole A.Vincent/Project Seahorse involvement in net pen raising:
There are island communities that are dependent upon the income that they receive from catching and selling seahorses to TCM. We cannot yank that income away, they would starve or do it anyway... so PS decided to "fix" it so that they collect the seahorses and "sell" them to PS instead of TCM. PS gives them a loan in the amount that they would have earned selling them to TCM. Then the islanders put the seahorses in pens in the ocean and "care" for them until they have grown larger (and theoretically reproduced, sending fry out into the ocean). These larger seahorses are then harvested and sold to TCM and/or the ornamental fish trade for higher prices since the seahorses are bigger, and the islanders use the procedes of the sale to pay off the loan from PS and pocket the rest. Several problems with this include:
1. other people steal seahorses from these pens in the ocean - its easy, they are all grouped tightly together and are already caught.
2. when non-native species like Reidi and Ingens are kept in these pens (which was not the "plan", but which does happen), you are introducing non-native species to the environment, both in terms of the fry that are released into the open ocean, and in terms of the bacteria that the seahorses bring with them that can cause big problems in the native syngnathid populations. Anyone hear about how "evil" caulerpa is in California, or how terrible the mariculture salmon can be on the natural environment... seahorses are just cuter than caulerpa and salmon
3. these seahorses are not being captive bred, or even tank raised. the more proper term would be "captive raised" and even that is a stretch; they are "trained to frozen" in various ways including what Molly said above, but by and large they are WC, and worse off for having been raised in close quarters with lots of other syngnathids and in many cases outside of their natural environment. In the case of Kelloggi, not only are they outside their natural range, but also their natural depth (i.e., wrong temperature, wrong water pressure, wrong lighting, etc.). Stressed fish are not healthy fish.

Anything else you were thinking of?