Thread: Sea Fans
View Single Post
Old 12/25/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Hi dendro, you're welcome (FWIW)

Yes, mine seems to be very happy w/the actinics. You know, it's a beautiful blue so maybe the blue in the actinics is something it needs??? Again, I simply do not know.

I bought Koralia 2. Also, please allow me to explain the flow in more detail. Ok, the blueberry sits on the very left side of my tank and in the front so I can see it well. Behind it is a tall rock (leaning on the left side of the glass) and behind the rock is a powerhead blowing directly at the front left corner of the tank. However, the rock is blocking most of the flow--not all of it, but most of it. Then, the koralia is softly blowing at it from behind (at a bit of an angle). For some reason the blueberry isn't being bombarded which, to be honest, I don't understand. When I first got it I placed it differently, with stronger water movement, and it was too strong thus it wouldn't open.

The lighting seems to be very tricky. My t5s are strong, but MH seems to be even stronger so if you got one you would probably want to put it in the darkest part of the tank. Regarding the actinics, yes, mine thrives when only those are on. Now, here's a confusing part: the blueberry thrives under the actinics but I have no idea if other nonphotosynthetics would.

When I bought the blueberry the vendor sent a bottle of zooplankton (for free). Unfortunately I just ran out of it two days ago so I don't remember what brand it is. I also have Rods Reef food, which has zoopl. in it so I have been using that until I can buy another bottle tomorrow. I use a turkey baster and just feed whatever amount comes when you pump the turkey baster one time. Reefartist makes an excellent point about having a large tank, or at least very good filtration, because a lot of zooplankton is going to pollute your tank.

When I feed the gorgonian I first turn EVERYTHING off, let the water settle, and then feed it. I leave everything off for at least 20 minutes so that the gorgs. food doesn't blow away.

Does this help? Also, perhaps reefartist will chime in and tell us what he or she does, especially since his or her tank is designed for nonphotsynthetic gorgs. Very cool idea btw!