Thread: Sea Fans
View Single Post
Old 12/24/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I would love to be a part of a nonphotosynethic thread. But, please know that I am FAR from knowing a whole lot of anything, even after 3-1/2 years of reefing.

Before purchasing my blueberry gorg. I tried to do a lot of research because Drs. Foster and Smith state that they should be left to the experts. But dang, they are SO beautiful I wanted to try one. I have only had mine for 3 months so that's not long at all. The blueberry sits on the sand bed with a few small rocks aroung it so it doesn't fall over. There is a koralia pump about 8" behind it, continually blowing right at it. My tank is a 58g. with t5s (4 x 39w.--10,000k.) When all of the lights are on it closes. When only the actinics are on it opens fully and is absolutely stunning. Sometimes it opens when the lights are off and sometimes it doesn't. I did try placing it in a fairly dark spot and it didn't open at all. I spot feed it zooplankton everyday, but only once a day. Again, I've only had it for 3 months so I'll see if I'm doing right by it. I'm sure trying, I can tell you that! And, it probably is my favorite animal (along with Juliet, my cowfish).

One thing I have considered is designing a ledge made of tonga rock. I thought maybe the rock could filter much of the daylight yet allow enough in to keep the blueberry's polyps open all the time. I'm not sure. It really opens beautifully with just the actinics so I'm unsure as to whether the tonga rock would be really doing anything when the daylight lights are on. I don't know...