Thread: Sea Fans
View Single Post
Old 12/24/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

awestruck and ReefArtist:
Is it possible for us, non-photosynthetic corals keepers, set a thread for all of us - share experience, setups, problems and ways of their solving, post useful links?

I am particularly interested in non-photosynthetic tanks setup, filtration and automatic feeding, flow configuration, particularities of their biology, and so on.

My blueberry didn't last long (not starvation), would like to try another setup, if you share the information.

maroun.c:
As was said, there are photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic kinds, tan-colored polyps for photosynthetic, and white- or bright colored polyps - non-photosynthetic.

Both require relatively high flow and some feeding, the first - bright light, the second - more food and filtration/skimming (or small coral in a big refugium-type tank).

Both are doable.

I recently bought photosynthetic purple frilly gorgonian, and not happy with it:
- It looks lavender under MH, where polyps are opening only after the lights are off, and in my low light tank they are open all the time, while the food is present. The last thing I need - one more drab coral in my tank.
- It's big - 1 ft H,
- bleeds like milkweed after handling - no such problem with NPS gorgonians.

I have NPS gorgonian for more, than year - since Aug 2006 (red finger gorgonian).
Much more pleasant creature, observable content of the large transparent polyps, if place it close to the glass. Easier to find food, then for a corals with finest polyps (it should fit the mouth), less mouthes to feed. No light or low light tank even preferable, IMHO - less chances to get algae growth on the corals.

Even higher I value the other NPSG, new, summer find - Swiftia. Bright, glowing tangerine color. Relatively large polyps, but smaller, then of red or yellow fingers, algae is not growing on it, all time open for a feeding, very reliable. Only handle with care - thin skin, and don't dry it too much during fragging. I had it in direct sun, and in no light at all tanks - doesn't matter.

Another reliable NPSG, recommended by others - Menella.

Blueberry was dead for the most of NPS keepers - this is why I'm asking about any positive input on its keeping.

There are Non-Photosynthetic gorgonians thread in Advanced forum, and Non-Photosynthetic corals - at Soft corals forum.

Another nice thing to have, but not in a high flow - NPS tube anemone, really bright and you can buy 12" size for a price of one coral. Pity, that they require different flow.

HTH.