View Single Post
Old 01/06/2008, 08:51 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
I hear ya. The new bucket of RC I received was also extremely low in magnesium. about 970 @ 1.0264 when RC usually runs about 1260-1290.

Its funny, it seems to only be the buckets. I picked up a bag of RC at an lfs not to long ago and it measured 420 calcium and 1290 mag.

This my take some time for Marineland to get straightened out. But first they would have to admit they had a production problem and order a recall. I believe the majority of the users with bad buckets will just supplement and use it up. Some will ask for refunds or replacements but at least they wouldn't loose loyal customers.

Its kinda strange that this happened just when RC was overtaking IO as the king of salts to the hobbyist.

That stinks, Billy, about the low mag. Just tested my bucket here yesterday and I am ok. (420cal 1280mag) but my pail is brand new (has the new free tshirt inside). I did just recalibrate my refractometer too using the 53ms solution. It was off by .002! I had been calibrating it with the pure water that came with it(it is the Sybon one that Premium Aquatics sells) I would imagine that the fact it is only being seen in pails and not bags furthers the theory that it is only one batch. I have to imagine that the batches are made seperately for each size container.

As for recall, I doubt that will happen, but who knows. Without batch numbers, that would open them up to taking back ALL the RC that is out there.

Also, as you say, RC is overtaking th regular IO as the top salt for the reef hobbyist, but it is still only a tiny tiny fraction of the sales compared to IO, barely a blip on the screen. Go into any pet supplies wholesaler, retailer, or mailorder house and just look at the inventory. I am just guessing, but overall it is probably still in the neighborhood of 1000 to 1 units sold of IO to RC. I attended the frag swap at DFS last summer and they gave tours of their warehouse to the public. There were probably 80 - 100 pallets of IO there and maybe 20 RC in the area they took us to, and they use a lot of the RC in their own coral farm.

Last edited by SPStoner; 01/06/2008 at 09:10 AM.