View Single Post
Old 09/14/2006, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get?
Eyes clear, stripes colorful, hungry (they will always eat) and alert. 3-4".
Quote:
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?
No.
Quote:
Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen?
They like places to perch and places to hide, especially from bright light.
Quote:
Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank?
Doesn't matter. Doesn't seem territorial.
Quote:
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank?
polyp, mushroom, clam, polyp, mushroom, Tangs, Angels, crabs, lobsters. Hippo tang tries to nip at it. Lion seems to get along with everybody.
Quote:
Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank?
Had Radiata Lion. Volitans stared at it inches away but did not touch it. Unfortunately, it was very delicate is in fish heaven.
Quote:
Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?
No.
Quote:
Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?
No.
Quote:
Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)?
I'm not sure. I do have a rather large red crab missing but it was around for a long time and he never bothered it before. I still have another one. The 7" lobster might have gotten to it also.
Quote:
How did you get this fish to eat at first?
Feeder guppies and ghost shrimp for first two weeks.
Quote:
If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food?
Did not feed him for three or four days. Then started with krill on end of chopstick waving it back and forth in water. He snapped it up. I almost (almost) kissed him.
Quote:
What’s the diet?
Krill and silversides soaked in garlic. Occasional ghost shrimp for the thrill of the chase.
Quote:
How much and how often do you feed?
Main meal once every three days, eats till belly gets roundish bulge. Occasional snack in between.
Quote:
How does this fish eat?
He's active predator but slow and other fish get there fast.
Quote:
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?
Got him at about 8" three months ago. He is about 10" now.
Quote:
What size tank did this fish live in?
He lives in an 85 Gal.
Quote:
How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?
three months, my favorite fish.
Quote:
What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?
I've read 15" if you feed them well. They will also live long if you don't overfeed them and don't feed them freshwater guppies or other fatty, non-nutrient food.
Quote:
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?
healthy so far.
Quote:
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances?
loses color if ill or water quality bad but very tolerant and hardy.
Quote:
How active is this fish? Is this fish shy?
Sloooooooooow motion, but very alert and quick to come to the surface for food.
Quote:
How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates?
Not territorial but does not like to be bothered either.
Quote:
How does this fish sleep?
Upside down, sideways, nose down, however he pleases.
Quote:
How does this fish interact with human?
Really fun fish. Mine swims to the top of the tank and sticks his nose out, spitting water at me. He's a glutton. He follows me when I walk around the tank. He did sting me once (my fault) which was REALLY PAINFUL.
Quote:
Any other interesting observation of this fish?
Everything is interesting about this fish. He floats then suddenly zips at a prey. Look for him and find him upside down in a corner.
Quote:
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5?
Quote:
Would you recommend this fish to beginners?
No. 1. Must wean off live food, get variety of foods and then use feeding stick. 2. Be prepared to get larger tank as lion grows if necessary 3. Know what fish are compatible. 4. Added concern of being venomous (ouch!)