View Single Post
Old 06/29/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
Also this is going to be framed in not just open in my living room. Two bookshelves built in and connecting to the stand, with built in cabinets also connecting to the stand. To me this is not going anywhere but . . . I am looking at all angles of your message to be sure.
I would tend to agree but where I don't is that the side walls of your bookcases may not provide anything to which to, securely or easily, attach your stand.
Quote:
My only thought is on the garage side but I can frame it out with 2x6's at the bottom and if need be frame it out - which as I think about it would look nice and finished.
This works for me, if I understand it correctly.

Quote:
My original plan was to sandwich plywood between the 2x6's - but I really didn't understand the reasoning for this and dismissed it. I'd noticed this in a number of builds - but they never really explained the why's. The 4x6's will be flush with the 2x6 and then bolted together.
Sandwiching, often, is just plain overkill but it can accomplish one nifty trick; when the plywood in application is .5", the finished "sandwich", typically referred to as a "header", is the dimension of the four inch side of a 2 x 4. Sandwiching plywood between two 2 x X's is a very effective method of re-inforcing the 2 x X for vertical stress; it helps prevent sagging. Plywood will flex but it won't sag on its face. (What happens, instead, is that the header can roll on one edge or the other; this is why something must be incorporated into the plan if a header is going to be used to span a very long run and the 2 x X is of minimal depth.)

IME, face application of plywood yields a better finished product. The bulk of the "leg" is much stronger yet thinner, won't sag (in general), and provides very straight edges to join. When used in conjunction with screws and an appropriate glue, one would be hard-pressed to find a more cost/time-effective DIY method.

Quote:
Thanks for all your input!
You're most welcome! I will try to sketch something and link to it for a better visual.