View Single Post
Old 01/06/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Garand FTW!

Quote:
I would maybe get a mosin nagant instead of the M1 Garand. ALOT cheaper and easy to service and maintain.
I agree but the M1 value is going up quite a bit right now. And it is semi auto vs. bolt. On the other hand nothing beats the fireball out of a Moisin.

Quote:
The Garand is an excellent weapon and you can still get them for less than $1,000. However, they are very heavy and bulky weapons. I would not suggest them unless you have played around with a friend's M-1 and know what kind of weapon it is. (They are very different from modern day weapons.)
I do not agree, it is a fine weapon and the basis for a few of todays weapons. For example; M1A1, M-14 which are still in service. They are heavier than most modern weapons though. They weigh in at about 9 lbs. Most people are carrying these from their home to the car, and then from the parking lot to the range. So weight is not really an issue. Besides it helps with the recoil.

Quote:
No uses IMHO as a home defence wepon.
Use what you are comfortable with. It wont do you any good if you are not familiar or rusty with the firearm. I shoot mine alot, there for it would be my go to gun. I am a bad shot with my pistols but rifles are a different story.

Like others have said - Practice! and practice with the gun that your life may depend on. Practicing with a .22 is good, but it is not the same. Different recoil, sight picture, and weight.

[IMG][/IMG]
I almost forgot the most important reason to get a Garand. History. My M1s were built in 43'. I wish they could tell me where they had been, and who carried them.