View Single Post
Old 12/16/2007, 08:19 PM
Frag-a-holic

Dave, my tank is glass. It is really not hard to cut and work with glass, but as a disclaimer, it is also not too hard to chip it or mess it up. I chipped my overflow when cutting it because I got in a rush. Luckily I was able to work around the mistake. You could possibly get a glass shop to cut it for you. The way I did it was by using a 45mm diamond hole saw(the only size I have since I usually run 1" bulkheads), I cut the 2 corners. Then I put a straightedge(metal) and used a diamond tipped dremel bit and went along the straightedge. To clean it up, I used an orbital sander with aluminum oxide sandpaper and rounded the top edges and made sure nothing was sharp. With the dremel tip I had(I was cheap and should have gotten a better one), it took forever. What I did was just kinda up and down like a angled sawing motion while a buddy of mine held the hose keeping it nice and wet/cool. I should also mention that I used the extension attachment for the dremel so I didn't have to worry about getting the dremel itself wet and rusting out the bearings. Good luck and if you need any more guidance, let me know.

Save a reef, trade a frag!