View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

adtravels - Cool, I'll check out the stripehead. That looks interesting too.

Pea-brain - That's sounding more and more interesting to me... Need to do some research on those for sure.

MacImage - Cool, I've been looking at those firefish too! Definitely considering that. Well, the display is around 10.5 gallons, and the internal sump holds another 2.5 gallons or so. Those are the outside dimensions of the acrylic tank. Then the tank is made from 3/8" acrylic, so you have to subtract 3/4" from the length and widths to account for the acrylic thickness. Then, the tank has a 36" long sump compartment inside that is made from 1/4" acrylic and is 5" front to back inside. Also, the display is about 7" water depth (this doesn't account for any sand, so actual water volume is likely less than my calculations here), and the sump is about 3.5" water depth. What you end up with is a footprint in the display that resembles a really short and wide "U" shape when viewed from the top. The two rectangles at the ends of the tank are 5.625"L x 11.25"W x 7"D, which are each 1.9 gallons. Then you have the main rectangle that forms the bottom of the "U" which is 36"L x 6"W x 7"D which gives 6.5 gallons. So there's are 10.4 gallons for the display. Then, the sump volume is 35.25"L x 5"W x 3.5"D, which gives another 2.7 gallons in the sump. Also, the plumbing and pump beneath the tank took about another 0.5 gallons. So, that puts us at 13.6 gallons total water, 10.4 in the display.

It was one of the things I really liked about the design of this tank. It looks huge, but it's really tiny. I can post a crude diagram if you find my explanation of the dimensions was poor .

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.