View Single Post
Old 02/17/2006, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: LFS prices

Quote:
Originally posted by coralights
At any given point a single LFS may charge more than what seems proper ..... LFS generally get a 20% discount off of list .... mail order companies get a lot more ......

LFS should be supported if they supply you with good advice and healthy livestock .... mail order companies should not because they do not add any value to the transaction ... and often when you factor in the cost of shipping they are not much different in price?

The problem with the aquarium hobby is cheapskate do-it-yourselfers ... who also give out lots of bad advice on how to save money. They deal with mail order companies because their so-called expertise cannot not be disputed.

There are many bad LFS also ..... but if you can find a good one ... give that LFS all your business and don't complain about the price.
LMAO...this is one of the most rediculous comments I've seen here. I work in a business that is affected by online sales as well (Home theater and home automation). A lot of LFS are just plain greedy and jack the prices up. There is no other explaination to jack costs up 200%. Most of the time, their cost of getting their supplies is a little less than an online price. They would sell a lot more if they would mark them up 50-75%. IF I saw a pump online for $100+ Shipping, and for $150 at my LFS, I would probably buy it from my LFS. The way for a local shop to make money is to special order protected items for customers. I don't know how many there are in the aquarium trade, but I know Tunze is one that is protected and the price is the same everywhere. Even in the electronics business, the most we would normally make on a protected line would be 100% of cost. If we makrked up 200% we'd be out of business!

BTW...DIYers are not "cheep", they are talented and putting talent to use. Do you cook your own dinner? Yes? Well why aren't you supporting the local restraunts?