View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

Yes, shallow tanks are much more efficient. Less depth, less water, less salt, less pumps, less heaters, and less lighting required. Equals = Less Energy. Less IS More. More corals and better growth.

Nice rant on the 60's, and 70's Air-in. I take it that was all before your time. But the only problem is , Mother nature only responds to changes in the physical world, not metaphysical, theoretical or political opinions. You made no case about the facts. Such as rising CO2 levels and it's efect on climate and nature and the chemistry of water. Both fresh and saltwater.

We are all familiar with acid rain and the effects on fresh water lakes and rivers and aquatic life. and forests. Which all ends up, eventually flowing into the Sea. Adding acidity to what the oceans already absorb directly from the air and rain.

Try adding a teaspoon full of vinegar to your tank each day, with no additional buffer. Let us know how it goes. That is pretty much what atmospheric CO2 is doing to the oceans.

The question is: Knowing the source of the problem, do we have the will to do something about it. We certainly have the knowledge. It does require a lifestyle change. Something like switching from horse and buggy to motor cars was, or printed newspapers to the internet.

Just imagine if we hadn't changed to cars 100 years ago,and we all had two horses in the garage today. Why we would be KNEE-DEEP in horse flop by now in traffic jams on the freeway. Slippin and slidin every which way.

Change is good! The next home I build will have a greenhouse built-in to take advantage of the free sun, among other things. Yes, I'm just A throw back to the sixties. "Free" is my middle name.