View Single Post
Old 12/25/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

ClamIam,

IMO, this sort of project would be so large, that without financial support, it could never happen. A pretty close approximation to what you are talking about is Wet Web Media - Bob Fenner's project. My understanding is that a lot of his material has or will be used in print publications - so there is some subsidy there.
I personally can't afford to produce material that I'm not getting compensated for in some way. I know this sounds mercenary, but it is true of many aquarium professionals. Believe it or not, I post here mainly as a "warm up" to my writing, to ask a question or to help me get rid of writers block.

On the other hand, a fish/aquarium Wiki *might* work. Wikipedia.org sure gets a huge number of highly accurate acticles written for it. The problem is that keeping aquariums is SO subjective you would have people writing all sorts of different advice - some of it just plain worng....wait, that sounds a lot like an aquarium forum.

Jay

p.s. - with Scott Michael's books, there is much less need for this, its already been done - by him! Of course you have to buy the books, but like I said, these big projects need to be subsidized.