View Single Post
Old 12/14/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Yes the fry did look like small threads!

We placed an order with a collector out of Florida and he threw in 8 pipe fish as a freebie, they were the basic pipefish very sandy colored and definately from florida.

They followed the seahorse gestation almost to the T, carrying for approx 14 days - the eggs would drop and they would be loaded again within a day or two. The fry seemed to appear between 2 am and 6am.

It didn't take long for me to realize I was no competition for the adults they suck those babies in so fast making it impossible to snag any of them - the hatcher made a difference.

Adding plants for the fry the fry to hide is an excellent idea. I fed the fry rotifers then switched to freshly hatched brine to enriched brineat approx 5 weeks began feeding cyclopeez - which they didn't seem to enjoy at all. I did not kreisel them, I don't kreisel peligic fry either.

I had them for about 8 weeks and gave them to a friend to complete the process - she didn't do very well and lost the fry within days. I think the challenge as with horses is converting them to quality frozen foods that deliver the proper fats and nutrients.

Hey if we can raise horses to adulthood I can't see Pipes as impossible - I also think there is a market for them do you ? .