View Single Post
Old 05/04/2007, 06:18 PM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
I dont really see how an elegance can eat phyto. Would you consider an elegance a filter feeder? I wouldnt. I think it is quite coincidental and anectdotal, but to each his own.
No I wouldn't. I guess it is possible that the coral could absorb a limited amount of nutrients from the water due to the feedings, but they don't feed on plankton directly. This is why I suggested he try feeding larger food items over 8 weeks time.

In my opinion, one problem hobiests have with Elegance Corals is that their coral looks good to them so they keep doing what they have been doing. This is normally a great philosophy, but may not be the best with Elegances. Most hobiests don't get to see what a healthy and happy Elegance looks like after several years in captivity. They see the Elegances in their LFS. They are beautiful but have been stressed from shipment half way across the planet. They are very small in comparison to what they looked like in the wild and what they can look like in captivity. In the right conditions these things get huge, and in a relatively brief period of time.
Recently on a different web sight a man was showing off his large elegance. He said it loved the high flow of his SPS tank. In the pic all you could see is tentacles. It was huge, but one big mass of tentacles. You couldn't see the oral disk at all. I'm sure he just didn't know what his coral would look like in a lower flow enviroment. If he moved that coral it probably would double its expansion in the first week or two.