View Single Post
Old 05/01/2007, 07:22 AM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by gholtmeyer
So what lighting do you suggest that we put an elegance coral in and what is the time frame/method for toughing them up for 250w 20k lights? Thanks for the article.
I don't feel that 250w 20K lighting is all that bright. Did you have an elegance show these symtoms under these lights? Inflated oral disk and shrunken tentacles, and if so how close to the the light was it? I actually think that this may be a good place to start. I wouldn't put the coral directly under the light unless it was at least 1 foot under the water. With this light this is where I would start. Then I would adjust the corals position up or down as needed. With all the different light combinations available to us it is hard to say exactly what combinations work and what wont. Maybe some day we will all have light meters we can put in our tanks and tell exactly how much light our corals are getting. Untill then we just have to keep guessing.
One more thing to keep in mind about lighting is photoperiod. The amount of time that a deep water coral recieves enough light to fuel photosynthesis is much shorter then its shallow water relatives. I would run this light for about 5 hours in the middle of the day and florescence the rest of the time.
My study into how long it takes to completely heal one of these corals is ongoing. Most of the corals I have have been through the ringer in the past year. Bright light, dim light, low flow, fast flow, brown jelly, hunger, food soaked in phospate, abuse by tank mates. You name it and these poor fellows have been through it. I can't really put a time frame on this based on these corals. I still need to buy more corals to finish this research. I have no idea what i'm going to do with all these corals when I'm done.
I hope I answered your questions and thanks for taking the time to read my theory.
PS. Sorry its taking me so long to get back with the people that have asked me questions. I am having trouble with my ISP. It should be fixed on Tuesday

Last edited by elegance coral; 05/01/2007 at 07:34 AM.