Thread: EuroReef Club
View Single Post
Old 12/04/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
I'm in the same boat with my RS250. Everyone recommends removing the air intake, but my bubbles are much bigger that way. So, I leave the restrictor on, and close it *just a bit*. Result is nice, fine bubbles.

Tennsquire: Are you saying that I can leave the restrictor off, and at some point, my bubbles will be just as small?
While I've noticed smaller bubbles with the air intake restrictor, I think the idea is to get as much air into the mix as possible. After I clean the skimmer cup, the bubbles are larger at first (with or without the valve). They get smaller after the skimmer slimes up a bit after a few hours of skimming.

I don't use the valve on either of my Euroreefs (RC135; CS6-1). Also, the 6-1 has an oversized Sedra on it (5000), so I don't know how this figures into the mix (it does skim MUCH better that way). I believe that ER recommends that the valve be run either wide open or completely off, and is to be used when you feed or use additives to keep it from overflowing if necessary.