Thread: Azno3
View Single Post
Old 09/23/2007, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

melev, the ingredient label is, well, meaningless. They basically used a whole bunch of "fancy" words to say sugar water and enzymes" as isjg suggested.

I've done a lot of experimenting to try and reproduce how this works and can get close but not as good as what they have. I used 10 10g tanks for about 4 months trying different things.

They are on to something no doubt. While it works and works well I'm not sure it better then alternatives because of how fast it actually does work (to fast on small tanks).

You can get the same affect using the vodka/sugar method with possible a dose of Bio-Spira marine thrown it to restock bacteria (probably not needed).

The key to either approach AZNO3/Vokda is to go slow and ramp up slowly. Far to many people dose to much of either get blooms. Some of the people I've helped with AZNO3 didn't get the nitrates lowered at recommended levels (> 100ppm/reef) but I asked them to add a little bit more and continue dosing (following the same schedule of increasing amounts) and sure enough the nitrates lowered.

It's also key to lower the amounts slowly and continue to watch the nitrates to make sure they don't rise.

With either approach keep an eye on pH and Alk and O2 if possible. Definitely watch the livestock for any stress which usually won't be a problem if you go slow. Yellow Tangs have been the biggest trouble fish to date that I'm aware of with either approach but especially the AZNO2 but that was mainly a couple product revisions back.

Right now your reef has gotten used to having 80 ppm (regardless of if it's heathy or not) so go slow in reducing them. Don't do it overnight. I think many people get into trouble trying to do large water changes that 1/2 the nitrates. It's better in my opinion to do a series of 10% water changes every few days then a large one even when trying to reduce high nitrates.

Carlo