Thread: Our Tbs
View Single Post
Old 07/15/2005, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
MHE - the only way to truly know Re: crabs is to get them all out of there. I don't trust any true crabs (even the hermits deserve a closer look).

While the peppermints were so cool to have for month one - if I were to do it all over again - i'd skip the peppermints and stick with a pair of skunk cleaners. Frankly I do not see them doing anything for the tank that cannot be handled already by bristle worms or micro stars. The peppermints don't even bothering sticking an antennae out for folks to look at...they only come out at night (unless I'm feeding). Furthermore I have observed them pulling food out of a polyp.

I never considered removing the turkey wings - too many to try I guess. Some of them even have substantial amounts of tube coral grown right on top of them.
Yeah, I've been pulling the crabs out as I find them, I have quite a collection in my sump - except the porcelain crabs, of which I must have 20 in the tank...

I'm leaning towards getting rid of the peppermints - I too can't figure out what positive impact they have (given I don't have apastia (sp?) problems)...

You're right about the cool stuff on the outside of the turkey wings - one of the reasons I'm so reluctant to just smash them - but I'm not sure what to do yet... I also don't want to take the rocks out and "work on them" to get them off if I can avoid it - everything's so nice and stable in the tank and on the TBS rock I really would rather not disturb it, but I would like to adjust stuff and I can't figure out how to do it with all the turkey wings all over the place!

Thanks,

- Michael