View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pledosophy
IF your not in a hurry then I'd keep the rock at a high temperature for a couple months so the rocks release the phosphates they are holding preventing further hair algaes problems. Running products like phos ban or substitute would also be a good move IMO.

Remember that when you introduce the dead rock into your system just because the ammonia reads zero does not mean there is enough bacteria to keep up a bioload. I'd add a source of ammonia, like fish food, or a clean ammonia product then test again after 4 to 6 hours to see it has been removed.

A tank full of dead rock will have a 0 ammonia reading, but is not capable of keeping up with the nitrogen cycle.

HTH

Congrats on getting back in. I love this hobby.
It was pretty depressing/upsetting to leave the hobby the way I did. I was always planning to get back in though. Would you recommend cycling with lights on or off? I have 2 - 175w MH and 1 - 400watt plus to VHO's. I was thinking of running with 2 - 10K VHO's for about 6 months until I start adding corals, etc. Also in total the water volume is about 250 gallons, I've never done a fresh start of a tank this size before. How much fish food should I add? I was thinking of frozen krill and maybe hatching some brine shrimp! What do you consider a high temperature?

Thanks,

Aaron