View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 12:51 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
I would glue 2 edges together, stick one in a vise, then clamp a bucket to the other piece, with a fish scale between them. Slowly fill it with sand or water to add weight and see what the shear strength is.

Crude but will demonstrate the effect.

Try several samples with different prep styles too. Sand 2 pieces with 120Grit, and leave 2 with saw cut edges, clean it with alcohol so it will stick well.
this is pretty much waht my thoughts were. if you apply a steady pressure to the seam to see what its long term strength is you can really tell if it will hold or not. you can calculate the psi that will be applied to the seam. then you should just double that number, and then apply it to the square surface area that will be bonded. if you make 2 test pieces that are 1 sq inch and then 2 square inches to see what he difference is in bond strength. it will be more with the 2 sq.in. of surface area but it might not be double. you will need a scale that is bigger than a fish scale but not much bigger. you can always use a digital scale to measure the weight inthe pail and the hook it on the edge of the acrylic .then leave it there for a week and see how far it streched out. if there is too much strech its not going to work. you cant have alot of strech or it will cause the acrylic to bow out on the sides.

if you have the single block like i have in the picture it will be alot easier to install. it will also be alot easier to clean up once the glass is set. the nice thing about this design is the glass will float some what in the frame becasue of the elasticity of the 795 or 5200 the glass will be protected from major shock. its like a rubber cusion in there. also the pressure of the water against the glass will increase the pressure on the seal so it wont leak.