View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

has anyone had any experience with the marine sealant 5200? i have not used it on tanks as of yet but i have on boats numerous times, and it is the stickiest, messiest stuff around with about a 1 week cure time. Once it is set though, the bond strength is ridiculous. 700psi adhesion with 1350% elongations before breaking. whatever you stick together with this stuff never comes apart, even on deep water ocean faring boats (where i have my experience with it) that get pounded left and right.

we once used some to seal a transom at the motor mount. 5 years later when we went to change the motor we unbolted everything and started lifting with the motor winch. it the motor was not lifting off the transom so we got a knife in there to try to cut some of the sealant. tried lifting the motor again with no success, we were actually lifting the entire boat off the trailer by the motor this stuff bonded so well. when the motor finally broke loose from the transom the 5200 never came apart, but actually separated the gel coat from the fiberglass!!! that is some serious bonding.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--