View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 12:22 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe

I had originally envisioned the viewing pane with acrylic slots bottom and sides with the glass slid down inside and then the top piece installed.
the big problem ther is the thicknes sof the acrylic you would haveto use. then there is the way of sealing it with silicone or some sort of gasketing material. not an easy task.
if you used 1" thick actylic and cut pieces out of the sheet on a cnc router to fit together like a jig saw puzzle and the used slovent cement to glue the frames together it would save on the cost of acrylic and would make both the inside and outside frames. but he milling would need to be perfect and the problem there is that acrylic is very uneven in its thickenss. i have had a sheet of polycast brand acrylic. the thickness in the middle of the sheet was .510 and the thickness on the outsides was .450
so that would make it alot tougher to build the front frame work like a jig saw puzzle. but it can be done.