View Single Post
Old 11/18/2006, 12:48 PM
Member Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by cschweitzer
I'm sorry, but I don't agree...Blame the seller. They are the ones pricing it. Just because a coral is cool doesn't make it rare. Just because a coral is rare doesn't make it cool. I hate when sellers add rare to things like common acans or certain zoos just to double the price. Do you know how much that awesome blue, purple, orange, pink, green, and red acan cost the importer? Same as the red and grey one. If you can't blame the exporter, the importer, and the wholesaler, there are only two places to lay blame: the retailer and the consumer. Higher price lowers demand (for most products), by the rules of economics 101. Demand decreases as price increases or supply increases.
I don't want to buy the Jendubs Acan for $800 per polyp, but I would buy it for $20 per polyp. By this reasoning, your assumptions are a little off-based. I will not go on a rant (like I sometimes do), I'll just leave it at this: blame the retailers as they are the ones up-pricing all these items. It's really sad to see there is no price gouging laws for corals and livestock. To see a pair of picasso percula clownfish now selling for $500 when they buy them from ORA for under $50 each is absolutely disgusting. Stop the destruction of our hobby by buying from people with ethical practices.

Would this woman buying a $1000 dollar purse still buy it if it were $10? Rarity can increase price, color can increase price, but promotion and hype should not.

People should not be able to make a 500%-1000% profit on something they got so cheap they could almost laugh.
I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this but the Jundub lord is both rare and nice looking. That is the reason for the price. If I had that kind of money I would buy it. We have heard your speach a thousand times from a thousand other people here on RC. Usually from people that don't know their corals very well. You want to talk economics lets get down to basics. Supply and demand. There is a very high demand for this lord. There is no other source for it. Can you come up with a pink lord like that? Don't forget that it can't be a bleached red one. I wish you good luck if you can find one for the $20/polyp that you are willing to pay. There is nothing wrong with being cheap but don't go around telling everyone else they have to be also. This is a hobby. Some people are into the rare collectable part of this hobby. There is nothing wrong with it. Do you yell at the guy that is willing to pay $200 for a piece of paper called a baseball card? No. Why not? That guy likes what he is buying. He thinks he is getting $200 worth of happiness.
I'm not sure why so many people think rare expensive corals are bad for the hobby. These are captive propogated corals. This is what we should be striving for. People buying corals that are 100% grown in captivity. If in takes a different part of the hobby to spur more interest in these coral then so what. It is good for our reefs. Some day this is all you will see and all the common corals like green slimer will triple in price. Nothing wrong with it. The things grow. It is not like paying $500 for a fish that won't breed. Someone pays $600/polyp but in six months or so they can make their money back plus some. I don't see where anyone is getting ripped off.