View Single Post
Old 07/27/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

What's up Laurent?! I just wanted to tell you a couple things that I wish someone had told me when I first started in saltwater.

First-every single new tank that is not stocked with 100% cured live rock will go thru this kind of algea cycle. Some worse than others, because it depends on the amount of die-off and "life" in your LR. But you already know this part.

Next-I have never owned or know of any animals that will completely consume every little bit of hair algea in reef aquaria. Some people prefer this creature, some that creature. I prefer a nice hungry lawnmower blenny, even if you just have to put it in for a couple days then take it back. Hair algea is going to grow in your tank for a long time to come, BUT it will become much easier to control when your nutrient levels fall. I am a firm believer in refugiums to lower nitrates, but it can be done with water changes only, as long as you stay on top of them. When your nitrates begin to fall, that will weaken the hair algea so that it can be easily removed by hand. I like to have a bowl of water next to my tank while algea picking so that I can just dip my hand in the bowl and off comes the hair algea. Eventually it will only grow in certain places, like where there is slow current that allows debris to settle, or pod tunnel openings where they deposit poo and stuff. Like i said though, whene your nutrient levels fall,it will grow slower and become MUCH more manageable.

Finally- Cyano is not cool! Its best to remove it with a continuous flow, like a siphon. If you mess with this stuff the wrong way, it will cover everything that it can. If you use a baster, there is a chance that some will leak back into the tank. Whatever you do, don't just blow cyano off your rocks! It'll go crazy. Look at a cyano bloom as constructive criticism, it can only grow in areas that have too little flow. So if you adjust your flow to meet that happy medium between cyano growth and break-neck current, all is well.

Hopefully you already knew this stuff and I just waisted my time. If not, then I hope it helped. Alot of this hobby is fluid (pun intended) in that it changes from person to person and situation to situation. These topics, however, are the headache that all marine hobbiests share and I hope it doesn't demote your interest in saltwater. Anyway, good luck!