Thread: Dog People
View Single Post
Old 02/07/2005, 07:37 PM
in the bathtub

Dog People

Mrs. Man and the little ones have decided we need a dog. I’m looking for some information/books on dog training.

Here’s some background information. We used to have three cats, but do to attrition we currently have one fat old cat remaining. After the birth of my son, six year ago, Mrs. Man became allergic to it and it became an outside only pet. The cat has never been with a dog in a friendly fashion. The dog would be allowed in the house, as they are social animals.

Neither one of us has had a dog since our high school days. My job can entail travel for up to two weeks with no more warning than a phone call in the wee hours of the morning. Given that I always felt it would irresponsible of me to have such a pet when I would depart and couldn’t find anyone to watch it. Mrs. Man’s early career was similar. She no longer has to travel on a moments notice and my travel has reduced greatly as I moved up the ladder. Dogs I had in my childhood were untrained louts, though I loved them very much. I have two conditions the first is that the dog will be trained and the second is that it will be contained. We live on two acres that are not currently fenced. I was wondering if any has experience on the electronic fences, collar with underground wire type.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."