View Single Post
Old 12/18/2005, 02:09 PM
Moved On

Who Dah? I'm confused. Are you saying that if you have a the ratio of growth is going to stay roughly the same percentage bases on the amount of polyps?

IME, if your looking to grow out a nice colony, then patience is what you really need. If you are trying to get the most polyps/month. Then fragging them small is the key.

This is from another thread... Was to lazy to retype it......

Quote:
Originally posted by CoralNutz
It's been documented by lots of people that single baby polyps will produce polyps more rapidly when they are single then the colony, on a polyp per polyp basis.

Example. If you slice of a single polyp (I recomment full sized polyps) and glue it onto a piece of rubble or a frag plug. It's not uncommon for that one polyp so be surrounded by three more polyps within a month.

So for the 100 polyp colony to keep up with that growth rate of the single poylp frag, it would need to sprout 300 new polyps within a month, which isn't going to happen.

Anthony Calfo talks about this in his coral propagation book, but was mainly talking about LPS (blaso's) and how that if you take a single blasto polyp and frag it, it will grow new polyps quickly on all sides as a recovery method. But he noticed that the colonies tended to just sprout babies on the predomonent side of the colony and not all the way around.

On October 15th (or close anyway) I sliced off two polyps of these sweet reds. One Dec. 3rd I took the second pic.

So in 1.5 months the two polyps turned into 7. So if a colony of 100 were to keep this pace you if would have grown from 100 to 350 polyps, wouldn't that be something....

I am currently working on a flash demonstration for my website of this fragging theory. IME it is by far the fastest way to get polyps growing. When the frags are small. 1-3 polyps, the growth goes into overdrive for the next month till they hit about 10 polyps then it slows down a bit.

If your goal is to grow out a big colonie, then like I said, this doesn't help much. But if your like me and on the hunt for the largest, most bad arse polyp collection out there, this is the quickest way I have found to multiply them for trades, or sell them for money to buy other cool stuff.