View Single Post
Old 06/04/2006, 10:24 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Cirolanid Isopod Modified Hunting Techniques

Hey all,

I thought I would start this thread to report on some modifications people have been reporting on my stinky water hunting method.

A RC user has been PMing me about her Cirolanid hunting and she has noticed that very few of her Cirolanids actually find their way into the trap. She would see a lot of them gathered around the trap, but only a few in the trap. So she has made up a new method:

1. Do the stinky water trap as described in my article.

2. When the Cirolanids are trying to find their way into the trap, take a length of plastic tubing and attach a filter sock onto one end.

3. Place the filter sock end into their sump and start a siphon.

4. Start sucking Cirolanids into the tubing. They get caught in the filter sock, but the water goes into the sump, so you can siphon and catch them for a long time.

This is a great idea as the Cirolanids come out and are attracted to the trap and stinky water and the siphon can remove some before they get away. I hope it helps more people in the future.

Brian