View Single Post
Old 12/08/2007, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

Nice! I get too much movement whenever I go above 20 sec. on anything (even stationary non-living things).

Have you tried playing around with any fluorescence gear, like the Nightsea stuff? Fun stuff.

My wife got me one of the dual-head macro flashes last Christmas and I really have to say, that's been one of the best things for my macro photography. It makes it so much easier when I can set it for f16 or f32 and _still_ go for 1/125th or 1/250th sec. shutter speed, letting me do more handheld shots. The camera tells me it's going to be underexposed, but then the camera will force the flash to do what it can to try to comply with what I'm asking it to do and, surprisingly, it usually works. So, it's fast enough to freeze motion such that I don't have to turn off the pumps and has a small enough aperture so that I get good depth-of-field. I just figured this out a few weeks ago and we're in the middle of a re-model, so my tanks are torn down. But, my LFS let me come in and play and the shots turned out pretty well, all handheld.

The photos are here, if you are interested:

http://65.102.221.68/AquaImports/Aqua_Imports_Web.html

The only problem is that some corals don't look good under the light from the flash, but those that do look great.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats