View Single Post
Old 10/13/2003, 10:44 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Rspar said
And is probably a prime example of a principal not willing to go against his/her teachers. How could that go on without the principals knowledge? And before this all started I'm sure that teacher had had some complaints from parents that were ignored
If the principal knew this was going on and turned a blind eye to it (which is very likely), it is not for wanting to help the teacher. When something like this is brought to light, the principal is trying to cover his/her own a$$ by acting like they did not know. Protecting the teacher is a sad by-product of this behavior.

Quote:
BarryF said
the college education they received is worthless because anyone with a high school education could do their job
My experience with teachers is that most have the "gift" of teaching or they do not. Years of school can help prepare teachers with the "gift" by providing tools for them to do what comes natural. The rest either quit, become administrators, or end up trying to control their class by taping them up . Also, the two biggest reasons that a teacher (especially non-specialized teachers) gets an advanced degree is to increase their pay or in preparation for a non-teaching job (e.g. administrative).

(Jumping on my soapbox)
The biggest problem with the educational system is the quality of the teachers in it. A couple of points to ponder:
- Teaching is a tough profession, the best and the brightest would be teachers are not going work for peanuts. Result: smaller pool of "gifted" teachers.
- Because of the teaching shortage, most of the Universities (especially state run) have lowered the requirements to get an educational degree to the point where it is about the easiest degree to obtain (e.g. the year my wife graduated from UCF, the math requirement for a Special Education Degree was Introduction to College Algebra). Result: Teachers are less educated.

One other thing that may (or may not) have been a factor in this latest incident - here in Florida it has been recently mandated that the class room size (student/teacher ratio) be reduced. This is to "help" the quality of education. Where did all of these teachers come from to fulfill this mandate? Yep, the shallow end of the teaching pool. Last years "Throw-backs" are now in the classroom. I'm not sure I understand how this "helps" the quality of education.
(Jumping off of soapbox)