View Single Post
Old 07/14/2007, 06:28 PM
Excuse My French...

Day 17 - Bastille Day - Around 4pm

The tank is now turning green with more and more green "turf" algae on the glass, some on the sand, some on the rocks. My only feather duster is doing well so far. He is the only hitch hiker I have found so far. It seems like that there is also some kind of white translucent tunicate on another rock, but I am not sure... I will post a picture tomorrow.

I tested again nitrites and this is still above 0.5ppm, probably close to 1.0. Then I tested for NH3/NH4 to found out 0.25ppm. I tried to see if something was rotting in the rocks or behind but found nothing special...

I know that in FW amonia is inhibiting nitrifying bacteriae so I searched books and the Internet and got confirmation that it is the same thing in salt water. Therefore, after cleaning up the mechanical filters, I made a 4 gallons water change, that's a bit more than 10%. Hopefully that will help speed up the cycling process because very soon herbivore snails will be much needed to keep the green algae under control.