View Single Post
Old 01/12/2008, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sellout007
The problem I have seen is that the pepermint shrimp don't kill every aiptasia. I have had them in my tank several times now, they *visibly* clear out my tank with in a week. Then they would up getting eaten, die and when they disappeared my aptasia would come back with a vengance.

I also have a Devil fish in my tank, Im still not even sure if I can house a nudibranch. But I know I definitely cant have peppermint shrimp with the devilish.
Yeah, I do still have a couple tiny aiptasia in my tank--but nothing like what I had before. I also don't have any predators, so my shrimp shouldn't go anywhere so long as I keep them well-fed.

Before I went with the peppermint shrimp, I gave a lot of consideration to nudis and, from what I read, I think your luck would be even worse with them than the shrimp. They're very small and slow (easy targets for predators) and they are easily swept up by strong currents. The best way to use them seems to be to put them in a separate quarantine tank and let them clean one rock at a time. This seemed like a lot more work than I wanted to put in, but I'm not sure you have any better options--except maybe periodically buying shrimp.