View Single Post
Old 12/06/2005, 02:41 PM
Team RC Member

Dori

Here's Dori (soon to be, if not already, a "she"). This fish has been difficult to photograph well, since she's always in motion. I'll work on my photography skills and probably just focus in on one spot until she swims to it, since she hangs out in her frogspawn 95% of the time. The day I got her (when she was a he) there was a small white lesion on her gill. This grew and actually spread multiple additional lesions on the dorsal fin, flank and tail. After investigating this I came to the conclusion that this was lymphocystis, a viral illness that's usually self-limiting and resolves with proper nutrition and excellent water quality. I ensured that this fish was fed copiously, and I increased my 10 gallon water changes from every other week to every week. I'm happy to report that in the past month this fish went from white-spot-city to almost no detectable lesions. The lymphocystis never got her down. She always ate, never had labored respirations, and never "looked" ill, but I'm glad she's almost cured. Anyway, here she is, mostly out of focus but here nonetheless.

By the way, can anyone out there confirm that "Dori" will in fact become female, and "Nemo" will assume a male sex? Based on what I read in Wilkerson's book "Clownfishes," I believe this should occur. As I understand it, mature females are unable to convert to males, but males can grow and assume a female sex. A juvenile placed into this environment (with a larger female) will then develop into a male and remain smaller than the female.