View Single Post
Old 11/26/2005, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I'll expand on the lovely castrophic event that followed an anemone wandering.

I'd like to first say that in my snorkel experience, and the same advice from other reefers, anemones are not naturally located in reef flats. That being said, I took the chance anyway and bought a red bubble tip anemone and paired it with two juvenile percula clowns.

All went swimmingly for three months! The anemone found its place, the clowns hosted in the anemone in minutes, and the tank looked good. That's about the time disaster struck.

Came home to see the anemone not in its normal spot, but sucked into a tunze 7040 grate. Ugghhh, knowing that this sometimes isn't the end of the world, I turned the pump off and let the anemone remove itself, should it have enough strength to do so. Well it did, but had approximately 75% loss and died within the next two days releasing all kinds of stuff into my small tank. My skimmer went nuts, my carbon was changed, and my water went cloudy.

A week of 10g water changes followed and all went back to normal except that I no longer had any love for my beautiful percula pair. I'd now had them for three months, both ate like PIGS, I mean chewing my fingers style, and both had no noticeable malidies. Well I take that back, as Mike described it, the larger female looked like she has a piece of squid stuck in her gill, but it had been there for so long, I took it as simply a mutation of her gill.

The rest is Mike's tank history I suppose. And Mike, although that frogspawn frag is small, who did find you an even larger one

And a useful tip of the day I'd like to jot down here. After noticing that my overflow accumulated tons of nasty stringy algae (calfo style aka horizontal), I believe I've found the answer. Our stagnant topoff water is, you guessed it, low on oxygen and high on carbon dioxide. The simple release of CO2 into my overflow caused all this nasty mess and more work for me. The problem is a simple solution however, have the topoff drain into a small cup, then overflow the sides. This simple extra step reoxygenates the water and this algae has since dissapeared.

Interesting idea about the PH monitor Marc, I never thought of the fact that I'd actually need to test the tank PH and not just the effluent (doh!).