Thread: Sustainability
View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

I think the hobby as a whole is trying to become more sustainable through their use of foaming fractionators (protein skimmers) and refugiums (natural filtration). The new popularity of stream based pumps that take a few watts to push a lot of water reduce electrical load and if the new LED lights ever come down in price that will again reduce electrical load and remove many harmful chemicals in many of the bulbs we use. The LED manufacturing process can, arguably, be called into question, but thats beside the point.

I think dendro hit it on the nose to an extent that we must maintain specific conditions for our inhabitants which generally requires WC and supplements etc etc. To keep trace elements stable. It could be argued that we could get away from some of these habits, but someone would have to identify the trace elements needed and used by every organism and they would have to be dosed appropriately. That of course adds a lot of workload on the owner so a WC with salt containing most of these elements is much easier.

I am getting slightly side tracked, but am interested what type of ideas you had in mind. I try to be eco-minded so if you have great ideas they could be discussed here.