View Single Post
Old 12/10/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skeeter-doc
Machado, ...obvioulsly, you have done great things and learned alot along the way, what tips do you have for the new propagator?
Hi skeeter-doc!

There is no only a hint or two that I could tell you to avoid problems in a prop. Although I point you some measures that I consider useful to reach a healthy prop. Without order of importance, for me all points are equally important, I suggest you some hints: (I try not to be negligent about any of them):
- Make frags only from a healthy donor
- When you make a frag you must keep it under the same conditions of illumination as it was before the separation from the donor.
- Maximize oxygenation of the water (don’t rely on skimmer for oxygenation).
- Ventilate the space to obtain an atmosphere with the maximum Oxygen and the minimum CO2 concentration
- Elect the algae as your worst enemy
- Reduce to zero the concentrations of phosphates and nitrates in the system
- Feed your fish in a manner that everything is consumed in just one or two minutes
- Keep high water flow to improve the photosynthesis and keep sediments in suspension
- Siphon sediment when changing water
- Keep as stable as possible the temperature, salinity and levels of calcium, alkalinity and Magnesium.
- Inspect all coral entering in the system, so they can bring unwanted visitors like Red Bugs, Acro Eater Flatworms, Monti Nudi Eaters, algae or spores, etc. Do quarantine and make dipping before.
- Change 10% water at least every two weeks to remove pollutants and replace consumed trace elements
- Control your RO and resins. Be sure they are in good conditions
- Provide a strong skimming
- Don’t explore too much the lifespan of the bulbs
- Avoid photo shocks when replacing the bulbs
- Avoid putting your hands in the water. HUFF!!!

May be I forgot any other important hints, but if you take all these measures it will be very good for your prop!

Quote:
Also, eventually, this success you have will catch up with you and all your corals will become the size of footballs, what will you do then? Simply find new tanks to put them in? You will always need more and more growing room for your corals, ...
I’m going on making frags. Is not easy to reach the point you are talking about. It would be very good for me if I had necessity to rent another room for my corals….

Quote:
lastly, the movie was great, glad to see you were using Tunze pumps as well, do you run the streams, to change the water movement, or do you simply have them pumping the water, ... ?
I have them pumping the water.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/MachadodeSousa

Last edited by Machado deSousa; 12/10/2007 at 11:32 PM.