View Single Post
Old 01/07/2008, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

How much he paid could be a good reference if it was D. Coccinea (which grows giant heads, and the most common species in the trade) or D. Arbuscula (which grows small, branching heads), but most other species are likely to sell as a sun coral whether they are or not. If this one was correctly labeled as a dendro, I doubt the price was extreme. This piece is neither D. Coccinea which go for $50-$70 a piece or D. Arbuscula, which I have only seen offered at one place, and that is for $75 (I believe) per polyp. Skydragon, you have D. Coccinea, so it will never look like this specimen.

Do you check if they open while the lights are out? I had a colony of D. Arbuscula that refused to open for a month and resulted in most of the polyps dieing. Four polyps remained and would open at night or partially when I fed. I got tired of feeding at night and there are currently two diminishing polyps.

I would put in in low light so that if it starts to recede it doesn't start growing hair algae. If you get it to open you should be fine moving it back wherever you want. That's just my opinion though.